Creating furniture out of wood is highly satisfying. The process of cutting, joining, and sanding raw lumber and turning it into an aesthetically pleasing piece of furniture, toy or other object employs a range of skills and fully engages your senses.
Unfortunately, many people don’t have the know how and / or equipment to undertake this fulfilling work. That’s where Off the Saw can help out. Founded by furniture maker Laura Zahn, Off the Saw is a collaborative wood shop, located in downtown Los Angeles, that provides a space for woodworkers to come “…together around quality tools and shared knowledge.” The organization also offers classes to the public.
If learning from the pros and using quality machinery sounds appealing, check out this stellar line-up of summer woodworking workshops. There’s something for everyone.
- June 4, Danish Cord Weaving
- June 18, Youth Woodworking: Four-Legged Stool
- July 16, Sharpening your Hand Tools
- August 13-14, Slab Preparation & The Butterfly Joint
- September 3-4, Make a Wooden Hand Plane
- September 7-November 9, Intro to Furniture Making
- September 17-18, Dovetailed Step Stool
- Multiple Dates, Intro to Woodworking
When: See above dates
Where: Off the Saw, located at 407 E Pico Blvd 10th Floor Los Angeles, CA
Cost: Varies by workshop. Follow links above.
Note: Returning students get a 10% discount on all classes. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for the discount code.
Visit the Off the Saw web site.