In 1973, artist Judy Chicago, graphic designer Sheila Levrant de Bretteville and art historian Arlene Raven founded The Woman’s Building in Los Angeles, one of the feminist art movement’s major centers of activity in the 1970’s. Out of this hotbed of innovation emerged the L.A. Women’s Video Center (LAWVC), which was cofounded at the Woman’s Building in 1976 by Annette Hunt, Nancy Angelo, and Candace Compton. Jerri Allyn joined the Center the following year.
Now, Otis College of Art and Design and the Los Angeles FilmForum have organized “Doin’ It on Tape,” a program co-hosted by Alexandra Juhasz and artist Jerri Allyn featuring video artworks, documentary footage and public service announcements from the LAWVC and the Woman’s Building. This is a rare opportunity to view an eclectic collection of seldom seen material and gain an appreciation for just some of the important work created at the Woman’s Building.
Below is a partial list of video excerpts from 1971 through 1986 that will be screened as part of “Doin’ It on Tape.” You can find a complete program here.
- Childcare Public Service Announcement, 1977, LA Women’s Video Center – Nancy Angelo, Annette Hunt, Candace Compton, Jerri Allyn
- Mother and Lesbian Daughter Public Service Announcement, 1977, LA Women’s Video Center – Nancy Angelo, Annette Hunt, Candace Compton, Jerri Allyn
- My friends imitating their favorite animals, Candace Compton, 1979
- Opening night at the Woman’s Building (Spring Street), December 13, 1975 (including Sheila de Bretteville, Gloria Steinem, June Wayne), Sheila Ruth
- Judy Chicago, Sheila Ruth, 1976
- Nun and Deviant, Nancy Angelo, Candace Compton, 1976
- I love LA, Jane Krauss, 1977
- Our Lady of LA, Kathleen Forest, Cheri Gaulke, Sue Maberry, 1982
- The Goddess in Art: Starr Goode interviews Marija Gimbutas, circa 1980s
- Learn Where the Meat Comes From, Suzanne Lacy, 1976
If you’re interested in learning more about the Woman’s Building, you can visit “Doin’ It in Public: Feminism and Art at the Woman’s Building” on view through January 28, 2012 at the Ben Maltz Gallery, Otis College of Art and Design.
When: November 13, 2011, 7:30pm
Where: Spielberg Theatre at the Egyptian Theatre, 6712 Hollywood Blvd., Los Angeles
Tickets: Available online